Until you've had gator on a stick, you havn't lived. There's nothing like forcing a lump of hot stringy meat down your throat telling yourself that it tastes just like chicken when in fact you know you're lying to yourself. You paid 5 bucks for it. You're going to swallow. You're going to hold your breath. and. swallow.

So, we met up with some friends from our ward a few weeks ago in a city called Anahuac, TX. Havn't heard of it? Well, it's the Alligator capitol of Texas and apparantly gators outnumber humans 3 to 1. Well, on any other weekend besides this one that is. All of the Alligators you will find at Gatorfest are dead.

We braved an unbelievably hot day with the boys so that we could say that we'd seen Alligators hanging from ropes being measured and weighed. I know it sounds really gruesome, but we had a free Saturday, what can I say. Hunters bring in their kill and basically hope to be crowned Gatorfest King (or Queen) or something. The most disturbing part of the whole thing was the Alligator that they had on ice. Basically kids would come up to it and mutilate the thing. Chomping it's jaws, throwing ice down it's throat, sitting on it.

That's not all there was to Gatorfest. There was also a carnival! We let the boys ride a couple rides and then we headed back home before we passed out from either the heat or all of the people smoking within 4 feet of us. I'm not sure if we'll make this an annual event, but we've been there and we've done that!
Thanks to the Hudsons for the adventure!
4 comments:
Wow! You are brave! And you look way cute, by the way!
Wow, what an adventure that must have been. Can't say that I'm dying to try gator meat after reading this post, but I'm glad you two can say you've tried it. =} Looks like a fun time with the family though!
I can't believe you ate gator-definitely braver than I am. Glad you've been able to get out and experience some of what Texas is all about with your friends. Gotta love those "one time" adventures.
How fun! Well, fun for me to read about anyway. Look at all the things you get to enjoy. I know it is hard being away from family, but what experiences you will have from your move to Texas.
Post a Comment