Monday, January 31, 2011

{big-D}

This past weekend, I finished my second half-marathon in Dallas (The Texas Half). I've been running with a great group of ladies from the ward since September and shortly after that we decided to start training for this race. I ran my first half-marathon when Levi was just over a year--so it's been a while. That one I ran and trained on my own and pretty much made up my own training schedule. It sure makes a difference having friends to motivate you to wake up at 5 am and using a real training schedule. I beat my last time by about 10 minutes! We had a great time getting ready for the race and I've gained some wonderful friendships through the process. Can't you tell by our pepto pink shirts? I was sooo happy to see my boys waving and cheering me on. They were the pick-me-up I needed around mile 10. I was dead tired at the end of a half...I can't imagine getting through a marathon. Those of you that have done one--way to go! Someday I'll do one, but not today!


The Superbowl is being held in the Cowboys Stadium this year, so we went to check it out. Bart was excited and he tried to get the boys to appreciate the gravity of the moment. Yeah, they didn't get it...but someday they will. It's part of the guy code.
We also headed into downtown Dallas and went to Dealy Plaza where President John F. Kennedy was assasinated. I suppose I never put more thought into that event than skimming over it in a history book before. I gained a new perspective seeing the streets and the buildings where JFK and Jackie paraded and waved to thousands of excited onlookers only to turn the corner onto Elm into disaster. There are two X's on the road marking the shots. There were people running out on the road posing ridiculously on the marks. I didn't get that. It's not like I was even there 50 years ago, but I was so put off by those people. Maybe being there with my kids made it different. More real. I suppose I put myself in Jackie's shoes for a moment. What would I do? How would I tell my children? One of those questions you can't answer.
Anyway, for dinner we went to "Red, Hot, and Blue." I remembered your recommendation Alisha, and it was really good! I'd totally go there again. After that we went back to the hotel and we couldn't get to sleep fast enough. That was enough for one day!

7 comments:

lindsi said...

Brooke....YOU ARE MY HERO! A half-marathon...way to go girl! I always knew you always had WAY more dedication than me. I'm actually kinda jealous though that I wasn't there to run it with you...miss you friend!

Jennie said...

What a great time! I'm envious of your training crew. I'm sure that helps a ton to have others who are focused and help you achieve you goals. Wonderful... you are wonderful! Cutting 10 min. is HUGE Baby!

Pease Family said...

Way to go Brooke! I am so jealous! You look so great. It looks like you guys had a great time in Dallas!

The Carpenters said...

I am so impressed! That's awesome (about the half marathon thing)! It's strange to hear you talk about being in Dallas. That's where our temple was when we lived in AR. You should check out the Aquarium there. It's awesome.

Alisha said...

GREAT job on the race!! You are my hero! And I'm so glad you went to RH&B! We love that place!

Clegg Family said...

Brooke!! You are AMAZING!! That looks like such a great race and you look awesome! I just wish we lived in Texas to run together. :) Your family is darling - we sure miss you guys! XOXO

Becca said...

I love you Brooke. I really do!
Way to go on your half! I didn't know you were running one! Honestly, that is awesome!!!