Sunday, March 18, 2012

{pioneer trek}

Bart and I had the opportunity to go as a Ma and Pa on Pioneer Trek for our Stake. At first we were concerned about how we would make it work, but my parents were kind enough to come down during spring break and watch the boys. They loved having Grandma and Grandpa Hill here and were less than enthused when we returned! My parents of course loved that!
When we arrived at Trek we had no idea who would be in our family, nor did they. They called out names and we gathered together.  At first it was a bit awkward.  None of our kids really knew one another and Bart and I were just trying to break the ice.  Truly, we felt like big nerds. But, it was amazing that in just 3 days we came to love these young men and young women and our family grew together. I know it was because of the hard work we did together and the Spirit that was present in many circumstances.   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
One of the most impactful events during Trek, for me, was the women's pull.  The men and boys were asked to leave the women symbolizing the march of the Mormon Battallion.  It was very emotional watching them walk away.  I considered what it would have been like to have my husband leave the responsibility of caring for the children and still making the trek to zion to me alone.  I gathered in my girls and we said a prayer that we could be up to the task in front of us.  There were only four of us on our cart while other carts had up to eight women.  It wouldn't be easy, but it was clear to me that we were going to be fine. And we were.
  
 
We pushed and pulled through the mud up to our ankles in some places.  At one place a woman helped push us through a rut.  She was an angel.  I've never worked so hard in my life.  I had tears streaming down my face because I felt so connected to my pioneer ancestors who gave so much.  My 'daughters' never complained.  They just pushed.  They were so incredible and I think they were feeling the same way I was.  We pushed the cart up through a trail where we could hear the men singing.  They lined the trail and just watched.  It was an incredible sight and feeling.  I tried to look for Bart or any of our young men but couldn't see them over our loaded cart. 
 
At the end of the push, we talked about how there were times that we didn't feel like we were making a difference.  How we didn't feel our own strength push the cart.  Four small women shouldn't have been able to push that cart with such little trouble. But we did and we all knew that we didn't do it alone. 

The women's pull taught me that I can do hard things.  But it more importantly taught me that I don't have to do anything alone. 

2 comments:

Alisha said...

I am so so jealous of your experience! As I've listened to the youth in our ward recount their experiences, I am so grateful that they had that opportunity! I was only sad that none of them got to be in your family! I bet you were the BEST Ma & Pa! xoxo

Nick and Casey Hill said...

What a great experience. I'm sure you and Bart were AWESOME trek parents. The woman's pull was the best part of my trek too. Glad you had a fun time. Love you guys and miss ya!