Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Faith in Every Footstep


When I woke up this morning and remembered it was Pioneer Day, I couldn't help but think of the sacrifices my ancestors made to come to this valley. We were recently in Martin's Cove on our way back from Mt. Rushmore. We stopped at Independence Rock. The Saints knew that if they could reach Independence Rock by the 4th of July, they would be able to make it before the snow flew. We made it home in only a few more hours in an air conditioned car. I can't imagine carrying everything I owned in a handcart, carrying my little babies thousands of miles, and not knowing if there would be enough to eat. I sometimes struggle with the little sacrifices I am asked to make like reading my scriptures or doing my visiting teaching. I am in awe to those who gave up everything for what they believed, and I only hope that they are proud of the way I am living my life and raising my children.
I've been thinking about one ancestor in particular today, Levi Savage. He had come to the valley early on with the saints, had served with the Mormon Battalion, and then went on mission to Siam. On his way back, he became a sub captain to the Willie Handcart Company. He told them it was too late to move on but he knew they had already decided. He then said this:
"What I have said I know to be true; but seeing you are to go forward, I will go with you, will help all I can, will work with you, will rest with you, and if necessary, will die with you. May God in his mercy bless and preserve us.”
Levi Savage is where Levi got his name, of course. I am so grateful for my ancestors and I have noticed that I have been thinking of Levi Savage more than I usually do. It is so important to honor and remember our ancestors.
Well, I know that was a more serious blog, but I hope everyone has a fabulous Pioneer Day and is able to enjoy the many things we have because of those faithful pioneers!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

way cute...way way cute! I love your blog :)