Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Loss Recovered

We have been very pleased with the work that Bart's brother Bert has been doing around the house. He has been seen raking leaves, keeping watch over the house, guarding the roof, shoveling dirt, helping the birds in the trees, taking Elmo for walks, and he has even started dressing for church. Not only are we pleased with Bert, but the neighborhood has seemed to erupt into a sort of Burt Mania! Bert was even "heart attacked" by some of the local school kids! We are sorry to report that Bert was taken in a hostage situation early this afternoon by the so called "Button-Bandits." Fear struck our hearts as our beloved Bert was taken for a ransom of Halloween goodies! The neighborhood children rallied around our grieving family and hid out in a sort of covert operation across the street hoping to recover him.
At around 8:00 this evening, a white car sped into the driveway while an unknown masked accomplice dumped Burt on our steps, took the cookies, and sped away whilst the neighborhood children unsuccessfully attempted to stop the bandits. Burt suffered only minimal damage to his stuffing, but he was bound and gagged and was covered with taped buttons. Our hearts were relieved to see him home and safe, but we are cautious. We thank the authorites in our neighborhood watch for their dilligence in bringing Bert home!

6 comments:

Heidi Schulz said...

Poor Burt. What a nightmare! I'm am glad he is home safe and sound. I only hope the scoundrels are caught and severely punished! Then we will all be able to rest a bit easier at night.

Lisha said...

You are so funny Brooke! You really know how to rally the neighborhood together! I admit I have enjoyed watching where Bert ends up. Keep up the fun stuff!

Lindsay said...

This post honestly made me get a little choked up! It seems like yesterday we were the little kids in the neighborhood and now you are such a cute mom and have a family of your own. Also, because I am so far from home and I can't wait to live in a neighborhood so my kids can have playmates!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness Burt has been returned unharmed. I don't know what kind of person would do such a thing. We are so happy that you are O.K. Burt!

Steve and Amanda said...

Brooke,
Thanks for the costume tips. Steve and I laughed our pants off!!! I love Burt. What a riot! Was the life size Burt in honor of the pole you recently did?

Sarah said...

I love this post! You must have a really fun neighborhood. I love it!