Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Using New Media to Support the Work of the Church

I was recently introduced to a speech given by Elder M. Russell Ballard at BYU-Hawaii's graduation ceremony this past December. In it, he talks about the many technical advances that have taken place within his lifetime and within the past few years. I was impressed with how "with-it" he is. He talked about i-Pods, i-Tunes, blogging, and Facebook, etc... While many of these media sources have been used improperly, he talks about how the gospel can be spread through the proper use of them. He urged the students at BYU-Hawaii to participate in a "national conversation" of the gospel so that those who are seeking or just happen upon the church will be given the right answers. He says, "We are living in a world saturated with all kids of voices. Perhaps now, more than ever, we have a major responsibility as Latter-day Saints to define ourselves, instead of letting others define us."

I was so impressed with this article, that I thought I should share it. If you would like to read it you can go to www.LDS.org and there is a link on the front page. It made me feel like my blog really isn't a waste of time, especially if I can use it to uplift, inspire, or teach others something that I hold dear. Happy Blogging!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks Brooke! That is awesome.

Lindsay said...

I read that talk also and it made me feel better about blogging. Great post!

Becca said...

Well said! I heard about that talk too and actually watched it yesterday. You pulled a great quote from that talk. Much appreciated friend!

...DAVE and KATHRYN... said...

That's awesome. I'm going to lds.org right now to read the talk!