Friday, February 15, 2008

The best way to a man's heart....

..is through his stomach! Payton's burnt lumpy heart pancake
We've had the tradition for the last couple of years of staying home for Valentines with the kids and making a fine dining experience for all of us. I hate getting a babysitter for the 14th so we just get one for another night and enjoy staying home together. In the past, I've attempted making citrus marinated pork chops, creme brule, stuffed cornish game hen, and a variety of gourmet delecacies. This year I made Chicken Royale (with a little help from the Lion House Cook Book), Rice-a-Roni (I know, you can't get more gourmet than that), broccoli, and of course, sparkling grape juice. It was divine! To complete the fabulous dining experience, my friend Heather gave me a great recipe for Molten Lava Chocolate Cake. I felt like a Chef. That only happens one day a year, so I make the most of it, making Bart tell me that I should open up my own restaurant or something. It was a fun evening and Payton ate well (always a bonus) and Levi loved the cake.


Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

I know Valentines is over-commercialized and appeals mainly to women, but I love it. Maybe because Bart doesn't miss a beat. I woke up to roses on my dining room table, he brought home chocolate covered strawberries not knowing that I couldn't find them, and he watched a major chick flick with me...."The Way We Were," (which by the way is not the greatest love story like everyone says...they break up in the end. Pretty stupid. Anyway, hope you had a lovely day with those you love!

Love Birds

6 comments:

Heather said...

Its a good thing Todd doesn't read these. I would look really bad. Cornish game hen? Seriously? Wow! However, I do need the recipe for the molton lava cake. You're so great! I love having you as a friend.

Sarah said...

Okay, I need your cake recipe! Will you email it to me? That is my most favorite thing to eat at Applebees. I'm glad you had a great time! You really are a gourmet cook-the pics look great!

Becca said...

That cake looked divine!!! You ROCK! I think you might just need to post the recipe for the cake...
If you don't want to though...just email it to me. ;)
I'm glad you had a good v-day and that Payton ate well. :)
You're great!

Natalie said...

Cute, cute, cute!! I love it. You look fabulous. Why didn't I think to make a yummy dinner at home instead of fighting the crowds? Maybe next year.

Jennie said...

Hi Brooke,

I have been a lurker on your site for some time now. I came across it through Jen O's blog. I have loved reading about your family and keeping up with good ole' Chelsie Park. I am so glad you are having so much fun there. We miss it and we miss all of the great neighbors.

You do need to post the recipe for the cake. It was enough to bring me out of my lurking state and actually post on your blog.

Take care,
Jennie (Gustafson) Dopp

...DAVE and KATHRYN... said...

Sounds like an awesome Valentine's Day! That Molten Lava Cake is like my favorite splurge dessert! I made Dave go to Chilis the other night so we could get it! You've gotta post the recipe!