Friday, May 30, 2008

The Backyardigans

Besides changing the look of my blog like fifty times this past couple of weeks, Bart and I have been working on a major project. He doesn't believe that my blog constitutes a major project, so he put me to work. Anyway, we were lucky to purchase a backyard playset that our neighbors were getting rid of. We didn't realize this at first, but it opened a big can of worms when we found that we had to find a place to put it. Our backyard for the most part has been barren and uninhabitable since we moved into our home. There are no trees which makes it unforgivingly hot, and there is way too much grass. The only redeeming quality is that our neighbors to the south have some lovely fruit trees, which we take upon ourselves to harvest anything that comes over on our property. Here is the progress of our Project Playground...

  • Cut out 1/4 of the grass in the yard. The more the better. The more you take out, the less you have to water...


  • Dig out approx. 7 cubic tons of dirt and find a place to put it. Call unsuspecting neighbors and pawn it off on them.
  • Curb the area around the playground. This will keep grass out and bark in...susposedly.
  • Have bark delivered in your driveway and deliver it yourself into the playground. Have your kids jump in it and get it in their hair. And we thought bark would be better than sand!
  • Set everything in place, except for the sprinkler system. That will come on its own time... and show the final project!
  • Now, eat lunch in your "hut" everyday, because that is the only way you will eat it!

  • Oh, and this is the rock wall that I built... how lovely...

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so jealous! Your yard looks awesome. What a fun place for your cute boys to play!!!

lindsi said...

Looks soooo good! Thanks for always letting us come over and play...your backyard is now going to be Taylor's favorite place to play! Oh, and I love the new look of your blog...what talent :)

Brindy said...

Wow -- you've been busy! It looks great. You're such a good mom, every time I drive by (which seems like 5x's a day) you are outside with your boys. :)

Natalie said...

Brooke! Holy toledo! Jeff asked if I had talked to you lately about your fabulous new backyard. It looks like a lot of work! How fun!

Sarah said...

I love a good project in the yard. It looks great! Payton looks so happy about it too. We are trying to decide if we should do the same thing. So tell me: was it worth it? It sure looks like it was!

Heather said...

It looks great!! We can't wait to come over and play :-)

The Babinskys said...

Brooke I am so impressed. It looks beautiful. You are great inspiration. I keep telling myself I have no time to build a garden in my back. But you have inspired. :) It really does look good, as well as your cute kids. I'm glad he's eating well in his "hut".

Clegg Family said...

First of all...I love the new blog! It looks great. Also, I can't believe that swing set?! When you told me about it, I pictured just a little thing - your new swing set look fantastic and like so much fun! We'll have to come up so our boys can play!!

Sarah said...

Wow that looks fabulous! I'm impressed!

Brookeh said...

It turned out fantastic! Good job guys.What fun for the boys.

The Carpenters said...

I agree with everyone else - you guys did an AWESOME job! I wish we were there to come play on it with you!

Kara said...

Okay, I know I don't live that far from you -- so now I'm going to have to bring my kids over to sample your fantastic backyard fun oasis! This, of course, is so I don't have to create one of my own. :) Our project this year was the front yard; we're hoping we can work on the backyard next year...

Becca said...

HOLY COW! You guys gotta have a party now! That is amazing! I totally believe that Payton eats his lunch out there everyday!-I bet that's nice! :)

Becca said...

Oh and yeah we should run a race! I would love to run with you guys! Linds and I thought maybe the Centerville 5K for the 4th of July. What do ya think? If you have any other races in mind, I'm game.
And I love the new look! You are too cute!

The Wageman Clan said...

Are you guys for hire? Your yard looks amazing!! I am so impressed. I bet your boys love it!

Allison said...

That thing is huge. I bet your kids love it. That is a major project. I bet it feels good to have it done.

Candice said...

Well done you guys! Love the curbing.

Melanie said...

Wow, Brooke the yard looks great!!! I wish I had a swing set like that when I was little.

SarahBara said...

I just have one question....If I make you dinner will you come do my yard???