Obviously not much has been going on at the Brooks home except for trifling illness. When there hasn't been an updated blog, you may imagine what my house looks like, my children look like, and what I look like. I guess that's what happens when the man of the house is out of town on business and a serious cold decides to settle and take his place. There's really nobody to dress up for! So, I really don't care if there are toys strewn about and tissues tucked in various places and we don't get dressed until, oh, about 2 in the afternoon.
The only productive thing about the past week is that I am quite brushed up on my Jane Austen novels. Oh, no I didn't read them! That would require a certain amount of effort which in my condition was quite unable to handle. No I seriously stayed up until 12:30 every night after the kids had gone to sleep to watch every variety of Austen reenactment. You may now cease your wonder at my flowery language and phrasing. I watched the 6 hour BBC Pride and Prejudice in three installments, the 1940's version of Pride and Prejudice with Greer Garson (in black and white), I watched Mansfield Park as well as Northanger Abbey. Oh, and I just watched Ella Enchanted with Payton for the first time. Not quite Jane Austen, but it does have a cheery ending.
I'm sure you are in good company when you survey my pitiful situation. I am obviously entrenched in a time warp and I really feel as though I am living in a novel. My thoughts and my actions are quite parallel to my beloved characters. You might be interested to know that I am giving a class on Etiquette to a group of Activity Day girls this very day. I assure you that they will, in a way, wonder at me being from a very different era, for I feel it... most ARDENTLY.
I am sure that this spell will be short lived, but I fear it will only get worse before it gets better. We are reading Anne of Green Gables this month for book club. I just hope that I can get rid of this most atrocious English accent. For now, I remain... Cordelia Montegue.
9 comments:
You are hilarious!! :) You didn't look that bad on Tuesday. Thanks so much for taking my kids when you didn't feel well. It's all Kirk has talked about! And I'm glad you liked Ella Enchanted - we love that movie!
Ha! You crack me up. & I'm sure you look cute as ever even when you're sick. :)
I love it! See, you have the right idea. I forgot all I had to do was send my husband out of town when I get a cold. Then, voila, instand chick flick day on the couch. You are smart one with perfect timing. I hope you are all feeling better. No worries about a messy house and such. Monday will be here before you know it. A new week means back to business. For now, enjoy the chaos. :) Oh and congrats (condolences) on Bart's calling. We heard about that. We pegged him for a "stand" guy the minute you guys moved into the ward. You are both that awesome!
You are so funny. I hope that cold goes away and Bart gets home soon!
You crack me up! I also saw Ella Enchanted last week, but at 6 a.m. Anyway, I'm assuming Bart's in the bishopric....?? Fill us in when you get the time!!
That's a great post...I love it! There is truly nothing better than Jane Austen - keep the English accent alive!
You are so much fun! I hope you are feeling better! I love pride and prejudice and Ella Enchanted!
Oh you truly are a sister of my soul. I relished every word as I, myself, get so wrapped up in the Austen World. I will have to tell you a funny story to prove it sometime...we need to play guitars togther and watch movies next time Bart is M.I.A.
Post a Comment