Monday, March 23, 2009

Robin


If he had been endowed by certain stereotypical strengths known to his caped-crusader namesake, he might have withstood the blow which took him whirling beneath the undercarriage. Had he not been staring wide-eyed up into the snow fallen sky imagining he was careening through a galaxy of stars, death may not have been so iminent. Had he noticed, I wouldn't have had to tearfully scrape his lifeless remains off of the road with a snow shovel and a fan rake. Had he been paying more attention, he wouldn't have been buried at the bottom of a municipal green garbage can between the diapers and yard debris. Perhaps I should have been paying closer attention. If I had, my Payton wouldn't have noticed the little tuft of feathers hanging on my guilty tire. Farewell little bird.

8 comments:

Kohler said...

Okay, that's just sick.

J.Frey said...

Poor, poor Robin. Rest in Peace.

Vee said...

So sad, but I like the writing.

Becca said...

You put it so well.

Lisa said...

Oh so sad! Poor Brooke.

The Wageman Clan said...

Sorry, but I cracked up! I think because it's posted with a picture of the dead bird. I don't know why but I just keep laughing. I do feel bad for Payton. I hope your remorse is short lived. :)

Gwen said...

Thank You, Ann(e) with an "E!"

Lisha said...

Oh, sad day!