Thursday, June 18, 2009

Anne's Land

The summer before my junior year, I worked at a plant nursery with my friend Cathryn. We learned all about plants, pruning, and working hard. In order to get through the monotonous and hot days, we would plan out our future (and oh-so exciting) lives. These plans included; who we would marry (which always included someone just like Gilbert Blythe), how they were to propose (of course over the Lake of Shining Waters bridge), and then the rest of the time went into planning out our weddings. You know, the typical girl-stuff, maybe with a little more fairy tale and a lot less realism. One of our other plans included taking a trip to Prince Edward Island, the backdrop of Anne of Green Gables. I'm sure we had planned this trip to be with our future husbands, but either way, the trip must have always been at the back of our minds.

When Cathryn moved back east, we found it was either now or never. I would fly in near Boston, and then we would drive up through New Hampshire, then the Coast of Maine, through the Canadian border and New Brunswick and then we would travel the Confederation Bridge that leads into the beautiful Prince Edward Island. Anyway, that was the idea. Unlike most ideas that float away like childhood, we actually made this one happen!

We arrived in Prince Edward Island just a couple weeks before the tourism season began. The good thing about that is we pretty much had the entire island to ourselves. We really began to think we were Anne and Diana, except for the paved roads. There was hardly ever another car or person in sight. It made it easy to stand in the middle of the road.

The down side of that was that it rained for the first two days of our trip. One of those days was a full on down pour. It didn't stop us however. We went everywhere and were just as excited as we would have been. There wasn't anything that could have damaged the beautiful landscape. If anything, the rain made the green even greener, and the red fields and roads even redder.

The best parts of the trip were losing ourselves to our imagination, which isn't hard to do on Prince Edward Island. We had to keep reminding ourselves that, no, Anne was not a real person. She was just a ficticious character. But when they have a village created after Avonlea and all the characters from the book are walking down the center of town, you start to question.

We were even able to dress ourselves more appropriately for the time period and had quite the time posing for the camera. I never said we weren't a little off. Oooh, but are we not elegant?

We were able to separate a little better the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, from the books that she wrote. She wrote everything from her experience and she lived every detail. From the Green Gables home, which was actually the property of one of her relatives, to the haunted wood, which was near her home. It was no wonder she had so much 'scope for the imagination.'

While it was really weird and hard being away from our husbands and kids, we took full advantage. We ate out every meal, we went shopping, we went where we wanted without towing kicking 2 year olds, and we also had time to pamper ourselves with a spa. Yes, it was a totally girly trip. We kept saying that it was good our husbands didn't come because they wouldn't even appreciate it and they would just make fun of us. We do appreciate them however, for staying home with the kids for a week while we went off on this amazing trip. I was so happy to come home to a clean house and happy kids. I really did marry a Gil-bart! Thanks so much hon!

It was hard to leave the island, but we were also ready to get home. We were happy that we saw this beautiful sunset on the last evening on Prince Edward Island.

13 comments:

The Wageman Clan said...

That looks SO fun! Good for you guys for making it happen. It looks like you have been busy. When things slow down you need to plan a trip somewhere North to visit some long lost friends. :)

Jennie said...

Wow! That IS an amazing trip. I could totally appreciate it. Back in the day, I did my fair share of Anne of Green Gables watching. I'm glad you had such a fun time.

laura j. said...

Oh Brooke, that sounds like a wonderful trip! I am glad you were able to finally do it. And I am impressed the house was clean when you got home!

Kim said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I have wanted to go there for forever! It looks like a lot of fun. Your pictures are amazing. Glad you got to go!

Sarah said...

That looks amazing!! Maybe I'll have to add it to our list of places to go before we leave :) Great pictures!

Andrea Brooks said...

Sounds like such a fun trip!The pictures are beautiful.

Mary Jane said...

What an amazing trip! I've always dreamed of going to the island as well. What a good friend to play pretend with and see all the sights! So awesome! Good for you!

Smithfield home for sale said...

Brooke that looks like an amazing trip. I use to pretend to be anne of green gables myself. The pictures look beautiful. How fun!

"All you need is love" said...

Love it, those pictures are great. I am coming over for the rest of them and want to hear every delicious detail.

Clegg Family said...

How cute are you?! Looks like a total blast.

(I love all of the updates....keep them coming!)

Lisha said...

That looks like it was SO much fun! I'm jealous! I'm glad that you had such a great time and that you got to fulfill a childhood wish. I think that is the part that I like the most.

lindsi said...

Looks and sounds like you guys had a fabulous time...next time you'll have to MAKE me come with you!!! Glad your back safe and sound, a week is too long with out Brooke around - we missed you!

Andrea S. said...

What a fun trip! Your pictures look amazing and it sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm glad you were able to get away for a fun break.