Friday, July 6, 2007

The Great Mount Rushmore Adventure

Happy Fourth of July everyone! We had a wonderful time in the beautiful state of South Dakota~ and Wyoming! We logged over 1500 miles and 20+ hours of driving in both desolate and beautiful country. We enjoyed stopping about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to keep the babies fed, kids happy, and parents and grandparents sane! We saw some amazing sites which we probobly won't see again unless it is later in life. We live in a beautiful country and I am proud to be a citizen of this United States.

On the first day, we traveled to Casper, WY. That's about all there is to say about Casper. Except, look at this beautiful Wyoming Sunset at a truckstop in Rawlins!


Here are Bart and Payton going down the scariest kids slide I've ever seen or been down! They are brave!





A Beautiful Wyoming Sunset!

We then drove to South Dakota and stopped at the Crazy Horse Monument, which when complete (say in the next 200 years at the rate they are going) will be much, much larger than even the Mount Rushmore. We then traveled to Ft. Hays which is an old western looking town. There is a building there which was in the movie "Dances with Wolves." We walked around there for a while and enjoyed a chuckwagon dinner and entertainment. It was very similar to Bar-J Wranglers, but the spice cake was better.

Our Crazy Family at Crazy Horse Monument


The boys in front of the "Dances With Wolves" set

The next morning, we woke up in Rapid City, SD and drove up to Mount Rushmore. Now, we considered staying for the fireworks that night, but with 2 babies and hot sun as well as an expectation of 30,000 people, we decided to come and spend more time on the 4th of July. We ended up going to a place called Bear Country USA and saw many different animals like elk, mountain goat, wolves, and Bears galore. It was amazing to have bears only 2 feet away from our car. They looked so harmless and cute, but Bart kept me in the car from petting them. We drove to the city of Deadwood next. This is where the famous Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane are buried. If you havn't seen the movie Calamity Jane, it's a good one, however I've found not quite accurate. I was disappointed to know they were never married. Oh Well! We then traveled back to Rapid City to watch fireworks on TV. Bart and I were the only ones who ended up seeing them because everyone else thought they were on later. Don't worry, I took some pictures of my TV. The light that looks like a camera flash is a firework--- just keep telling yourself that!

Levi and Aubree in their cute Independence Day outfits-- All American Boy and Princess Aboard!



The Mount Rushmore Fireworks Spectacular!


For the highlight of the trip we went to Mount Rushmore on the Fourth of July. It wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be and it was just wonderful. We went on a walking tour which highlighted the lives of the four amazing presidents carved in granite. I just had a feeling of awe and gratefulness to live in such an amazing country, where inspired men founded it upon just and true principles. Despite the unrest happening in our country today, the principles still stand. Oh, we also went to a place called Reptile Gardens this day-- it was pretty cool!

Payton and Spencer during the Snake Show at Reptile Gardens--- both more interested in Gravel!

Bart and Payton and the Yucky Snake!


Mount Rushmore

The theme of our trip: "Where's Spencer?"




The Babies at the "Baby Rushmore"-- The Sculptor's Studio



We arrived home last night at about 10:30 pm after driving through Wyoming. We stopped at Independence Rock and Martin's Cove. We were tired and happy to see our home and sleep in our own beds. Vacations are wonderful because they make us realize that no matter how far we go and no matter what wonderful sites we may see-- There's no place like home!



Payton and Grandpa Marlin

Independence Rock--- Bart and I climbed to the top!

3 comments:

Andrea S. said...

Looks like a lot of fun-and I agree that there's no place like home (even Hawaii!!!)

Rachel said...

Brooke! Im so glad I found you on this thing! Your little fam is so cute! I never got to say thanks to you for my shower I loved it and am so glad that I got to visit teach you. I'll miss you but now I can see you anytime I want! not to sound like a stalker or anything! my blog is lovetheamidons. kit!

Unknown said...

I love the new look of your blog, so cute! I'm glad you all had a fun trip!