Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lipstick on a Pig?


So, yesterday, I performed at Pioneer Park for their new Picnic Series. Yes, that Pioneer Park. The one with all of the homeless and drug pushers. The one with the bad reputation. The one that I just took my kids to and had my mom chase them around (she had to keep Levi from sitting on the laps of one of the transient men). Anyway, just as I was finishing up my set, a TV cameraman and a reporter show up. So, I just did one more song, just in cast this was my chance for "fame." Yeah, it made it on TV, along with my neighbors the O's who came to watch and let Levi devour their snacks, and my mom and Payton. So, as they're asking, "Would you take your family here?" I had to laugh.

While I was up there singing, I never felt threatened. There were a few men up front with toothless grins while I was singing, but I never felt afraid. Would I go there at night, alone? Definately not. Would I make it a regular outing with my kids to go hang out at Pioneer Park? No. But I also have to say that I have a better understanding of the people who do hang out there. They have nowhere else to go and I was happy to provide a bit of menial entertainment for a warm day. Anyway, enjoy the video!

16 comments:

lindsi said...

You were on TV!!!! You are definitely famous now! You are always so good to get out and about and perform...how fun. Well, I'm sad that I missed it and we weren't able to come and hear you sing. Next time! You sounded awesome by the way:)

Jill said...

Brooke you are awesome! I wish we could have been there to hear you. No way do you get to be on TV, so cool!

Jennie said...

You are such a star. I would have liked to hear more of your song! Let us know when your next gig is scheduled. We'll be there.

Clegg Family said...

How neat is that?! Please remember us when you are rich and famous! :)

Kohler said...

That's so cool! I wish I could have made it! You even got like tons of airtime!

Becca said...

Hey, that's cool! Good for you! You're gonna change that park one afternoon at a time!

Mel said...

Hey Brooke! I ran across your blog and watched your clip. You sound great, as usual! They need to do a story just on you next time. Let me know when you're playing next!

The Poulson's said...

Brooke my goodness!! You are so popular..I need your autograph!

Tammy said...

Wow, Brooks, that is so fantastic. Do you perform often? Let us know when the next is. I would love to hear more of your songs. AND you play the guitar, AWESOME!!

The Wageman Clan said...

I sure miss being able to hear you sing. Oh well, I'll always have the memory of ISU Idol. :) You sounded great!

alison said...

Brooke,

Steve and I used to live in the apartments right next to the park when we lived in SLC. We got to see first-hand the stabbing/death that went on there last year. It can be a scary place, but I'm glad people like you are helping it become something better! The short snippet of you singing was wonderful. If we had still been living there, we would have had front row seats to see you perform.

Brindy said...

Way to go Brooke! That is awesome that you were able to do that...even if it's in a strange park. :) It looks like you guys had a great time and a perfect way to share your talent with Utah.

Ashley and Nate said...

You're blog is SO CUTE! And you are famous too! Props to you for having two kiddos and keeping up with music - you guys all look fantastic and I'm so excited to keep up with you via blogging!

The Suttons said...

Yay-you have a blog too!!! Now we have 2 ways of keeping in touch with you guys! I miss hearing you sing too-event though I only heard you in church sitting next to you :). Troy and I were just talking about that night we came to your house and we played games with the Wagemens-hahaha-we had some fun times!! Glad you have a blog!! Ours is karantroy.blogspot.com.

Darrik, Kami & Brock said...

Ok, so this is totally random, and it's 1:29 in the morning... so I'm rambling... go figure. but i'm totally blog scanning, for lack of a better phrase (blog stalking), while I'm waiting for my husband to get home. But you have a picuture of my sister in law Teresa Brooks. Her younger (step) brother is my huband Darrik Robbins. I noticed after I typed the name Brooks that that is your new last name. That makes sense. Anyway, sorry for the long post in the middle of the night. Hope you are doing well, cute blog!

Sarah said...

Wow, you are so brave! Just kidding. Good for you! I love it.